AM frost/freezing fog, then showers begin.

Check out my latest Eugene Daily News “Weather Or Not” column now at:

(If it is unavailable it is due to site maintenance.)

“Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast.”

Here is my weekly weather quiz question for the last time. What is  “Radiation Fog?“  Here is the correct answer. Radiation Fog is a fog that forms when outgoing longwave radiation cools the near-surface air below its dew point temperature.  I’ll have a new weekly weather quiz question for you starting Monday. The First person to post the correct answer as a comment will win a week of free personalized weather forecasts tailored to your needs.

_____

ADVISORIES:

  • A FREEZE WARNING IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM TODAY FOR SOUTH CENTRAL OREGON COAST AND THE CURRY COUNTY COAST.
  • A WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM TONIGHT UNTIL 4 PM SUNDAY FOR NORTHERN AND EASTERN KLAMATH COUNTY, AND WESTERN, CENTRAL, AND EASTERN LAKE COUNTY.

HEALTH ADVISORIES:

  • A RECREATIONAL USE HEALTH ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FOR NORTH TENMILE LAKE IN COOS COUNTY  AND SOUTH TENMILE LAKE IN COOS COUNTY  DUE TO THE PRESENCE OF A CYANOBACTERIAL (HARMFUL ALGAE) BLOOM AND CYANOTOXINS (HARMFUL ALGAE TOXINS) ABOVE RECREATIONAL GUIDELINE VALUES FOR HUMAN EXPOSURE. PEOPLE SHOULD AVOID SWIMMING AND HIGH-SPEED WATER SKIING OR POWER BOATING, IN AREAS OF THE LAKE WHERE BLOOMS ARE IDENTIFIED. BOATING IS SAFE AS LONG AS SPEEDS DO NOT CREATE EXCESSIVE WATER SPRAY, WHICH COULD LEAD TO INHALATION RISK. ALTHOUGH TOXINS ARE NOT ABSORBED THROUGH THE SKIN, PEOPLE WHO HAVE SKIN SENSITIVITIES MAY EXPERIENCE A PUFFY RED RASH.
  • A PUBLIC HEALTH ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR WATER CONTACT AT NESKOWIN BEACH IN TILLAMOOK COUNTY DUE TO HIGHER-THAN-NORMAL LEVELS OF FECAL BACTERIA. FECAL BACTERIA CAN CAUSE DIARRHEA, STOMACH CRAMPS, SKIN RASHES, UPPER RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS AND OTHER ILLNESSES. PEOPLE SHOULD AVOID DIRECT CONTACT WITH THE WATER IN THIS AREA UNTIL THE ADVISORY IS LIFTED. VISITORS SHOULD AVOID WADING IN NEARBY CREEKS, POLS OF WATER ON THE BEACH, OR IN DISCOLORED WATER, AND STAY CLEAR OF WATER RUNOFF FLOWING INTO THE OCEAN.
  • RECREATIONAL USE HEALTH ADVISORIES REMAIN IN EFFECT FOR THE HOWARD’S BAY AREA OF UPPER KLAMATH LAKE IN KLAMATH COUNTY DUE TO THE PRESENCE OF AS CYANOBACTERIAL (HARMFUL ALGAE) BLOOM AND CYANOTOXINS (HARMFUL ALGAE TOXINS) ABOVE RECREATIONAL GUIDELINE VALUES FOR HUMAN EXPOSURE. PEOPLE SHOULD AVOID SWIMMING AND HIGH-SPEED WATER SKIING OR POWER BOATING, IN AREAS OF THE LAKE WHERE BLOOMS ARE IDENTIFIED. BOATING IS SAFE AS LONG AS SPEEDS DO NOT CREATE EXCESSIVE WATER SPRAY, WHICH COULD LEAD TO INHALATION RISK. ALTHOUGH TOXINS ARE NOT ABSORBED THROUGH THE SKIN, PEOPLE WHO HAVE SKIN SENSITIVITIES MAY EXPERIENCE A PUFFY RED RASH.
  • A PRECAUTIONARY RECREATIONAL USE HEALTH ADVISORY FOR THE 2019 CYANOBACTERIAL (HARMFUL ALGAE) BLOOM SEASON REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR LAKE BILLY CHINOOK IN JEFFERSON COUNTY DUE TO CYANOBACTERIAL BLOOMS THAT ROUTINELY DEVELOP IN THE LAKE. NO BLOOMS HAVE BEEN DETECTED AT THIS TIME, BUT BLOOMS CAN DEVELOP THROUGHOUT THE SEASON AND IN AREAS THAT ARE NOT VISUALLY MONITORED BY JEFFERSON COUNTY , OREGON STATE PARKS, OR THE U.S. FOREST SERVICE. THE ADVISORY WILL REMAIN IN EFFECT THROUGH NOVEMBER 1, 2019.
  • A PERMANENT HEALTH ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE SOUTH UMPQUA RIVER BAR. POOLS IN THE BEDROCK ALONG THE RIVERS EDGE ARE KNOWN TO DEVELOP BLUE-GREEN ALGAE (CYANOBACTERIAL) BLOOMS THAT CAN BE HARMFUL TO PETS AND PEOPLE IF ACCIDENTAL INGESTION OCCURS. SIGNS HAVE BEEN POSTED ALONG SEVERAL ACCESS AREAS ALONG THE RIVER.

_____

THE WEATHER PATTERN:

An Upper Level High Pressure Ridge (Shaded “Arch” shape with arrows) takes over bringing colder air our way. The graphics for days 1-3 show the next storm that will approach the Pacific Northwest from the southwest.  The graphics for days 3-7 show the frontal system still hanging around Monday, then the next frontal systems headed our way.

_____

THE AIR QUALITY INDEX:

For the local area:

Eugene/Springfield: The Air Quality Index is 115 in the Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups category measuring Particulate Matter.

Oakridge: The Air Quality Index is 105 in the Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups category measuring Particulate Matter.

Cottage Grove: The Air Quality Index is 68 in the Moderate category measuring Particulate Matter.

Data courtesy of Lane Regional Air Protection Agency (LRAPA)

_____

Home Wood Heating Advisory

Posted Daily

Eugene-Springfield: GREEN – Burning is Allowed.

Oakridge: GREEN – Burning is Allowed.

*Note: Pellet stoves may be used anytime if they produce no visible emissions.

Data courtesy of Lane Regional Air Protection Agency (LRAPA)

 

______________

FORECASTS:

Forecast for the Southern Willamette Valley including Eugene and Springfield:

  • Patchy frost and areas of freezing fog this AM, mostly cloudy and a bit cooler with a (30%) chance of rain this afternoon, rain likely (70%) with a good (50%) chance of snow this evening, rain late tonight (0.25 in. of rain possible, no snow accumulation expected, evening snow level 1,500 ft.),
  • Cloudy and a bit cooler with a good (50%) chance of rain Sunday (under 0.10 in. of rain possible), a (30%) chance of evening rain, mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of rain at night (under 0.10 in. of rain possible),
  • A mix of clouds and sun with a slight (20%) chance of rain and a bit warmer Monday, then partly cloudy with patchy fog late Monday night.
  • highs 40-46 lows 33-35.
  • A mix of clouds and sun and a bit warmer Tuesday, a slight (20%) chance of afternoon showers, mostly cloudy with slight (20%) chance of rain Tuesday night,
  • Mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of rain Wednesday, cloudy with a (40%) chance of rain Wednesday night,
  • Cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain Thursday and at night,
  • Then rain likely (70%) Friday.
  • highs near 48 lows 36-40. (seasonal averages high 48 low 35)

_____

Your College Football Forecast    

Saturday November 30th: THE CIVIL WAR GAME

Ducks vs Beavers, at Autzen Stadium,– Kickoff: 1:00 PM, Mostly cloudy 36, warming to 40 then cooling through the rest of the game. A 30% chance of afternoon rain. Snow chances should hold off until evening. Snow level will be at 1,500 ft. in the evening, so it shouldn’t be a threat to the game.

_____

Forecast for the Umpqua Valley including Roseburg

  • Mostly cloudy today with a slight (20%) chance of afternoon rain and snow (snow level 900 ft.), evening rain and snow, rain and snow likely (70%) tonight with a chance of light freezing rain late (0.25 in. of rain possible, 1 in. of snow possible, snow level 1,000 ft. rising to 2,500 ft.),
  • A (40%) chance of rain and a bit warmer Sunday (0.10 in. of rain possible, AM snow level 3,500 ft.), a good (50%) chance of rain  Sunday night (under 0.10 in. of rain possible),
  • A (30%) chance of rain and a bit warmer Monday, partly cloudy with patchy evening fog, just mostly cloudy late Monday night.
  • highs 44-52 lows 35-38.
  • Patchy AM fog, mostly cloudy and a bit warmer Tuesday, partly cloudy in the evening, mostly cloudy with patchy fog and a slight (20%) chance of rain and a bit cooler late Tuesday night and Wednesday, patchy evening fog, a (30%) chance of rain Wednesday night,
  • Mostly cloudy and a bit cooler with a good (50%) chance of rain Thursday, cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain at night,
  • Mostly cloudy with AM rain likely (70%), then a good (50%) chance of rain and a bit cooler Friday afternoon.
  • highs 53-48 lows 37-39 (seasonal averages high 49 low 38)

_____

Forecast for the Oregon Coast including Coos Bay and North Bend:

  • Mostly cloudy and a bit warmer with a (30%) chance of coastal rain this afternoon while areas of AM inland freezing fog and a (30%) chance of inland afternoon rain and snow (under 0.10 in. of rain possible, snow level 900 ft.), evening rain, rain likely (70%) late tonight (0.25 in. of rain possible, evening snow level 2,000 ft.),
  • A bit warmer with a good (50%) chance of rain Sunday (0.25 in. of rain possible), evening rain likely (70%), a good (50%) chance of rain late Sunday night (under 0.10 in. of rain possible),
  • Mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of rain and a bit warmer Monday , a slight (20%) chance of evening rain, then just mostly cloudy late at night.
  • high 48-57 lows near 38.
  • Mostly cloudy and a bit warmer Tuesday, partly cloudy in the evening, mostly cloudy with patchy fog and a slight (20%) chance of rain late Tuesday night,
  • AM patchy fog, mostly cloudy and a bit cooler with a (30%) chance of rain Wednesday, patchy evening fog, mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of rain late Wednesday night, then rain likely (70%) and a bit cooler Thursday through Friday.
  • highs 58-55 lows 37-39. (seasonal averages high 52 low 41)

_____

Forecast for the Northern Oregon Cascades including Willamette Pass:

  • Some AM clouds, increasing clouds with a (40%) chance of snow and a bit cooler late this afternoon, mostly cloudy with evening snow, rain and snow late tonight (0.10 on. of rain possible, 2 in. of snow possible, o.10 in. of ice accumulation possible),
  • Cloudy with AM rain and snow likely (70%), a good (50%) chance of rain and snow and a bit warmer Sunday afternoon, a (30%) chance of rain and snow late Sunday night,
  • A mix of clouds and sun a bit warmer with a slight (20%) chance of rain and snow Monday, then just partly cloudy at night.
  • free air freezing level at the surface tonight, snow level 2,000 ft. Saturday afternoon, 2,000 ft. rising to 3,000 ft. Saturday night, 3,500 ft. rising to 5,000 ft. Sunday afternoon, 5,000 late Sunday night, 5,000 ft. rising to 6,000 ft. Monday, then free air freezing level 7,500 ft. Monday night.
  • highs 27-42 lows 26-29.
  • A mix of clouds and sun Tuesday, partly cloudy and a bit cooler with a slight (20%) chance of showers late Tuesday night,
  • Mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of AM rain, a bit cooler with a slight (20%) chance of rain and snow in the afternoon Wednesday, a (40%) chance of evening rain, a (40%) chance of rain and snow at night,
  • Cloudy and a bit cooler with a good (50%) chance of rain and snow Thursday, evening rain likely (70%), a good (50%) chance of rain and snow late Thursday night,
  • Then rain and snow likely (70%) and a bit cooler Friday.
  • free air freezing level 7,000 ft. rising to 7,500 ft. Tuesday, 7,500 ft. Tuesday evening, snow level 6,500 ft. late Tuesday night, 6,000 ft. Wednesday, 6,000 ft. falling to 5,500 ft.Wednesday night, 5,500 ft. Thursday, 6,000 ft. Thursday night, then 5,500 ft. Friday.
  • highs 40-36 lows 27-32.

_____

Note: Weather is a constantly changing phenomenon and weather forecasting is a combination of science, experience, and intuition. The accuracy of any given forecast can change due to unexpected changes in atmospheric conditions, so there are no guarantees that the actual weather will conform to the projected forecast.

__

For all of your Lane County and Eugene-Springfield News, Weather and Sports go to: eugenedailynews.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *