Some patchy fog tonight, cleaner air and sunshine for your Sunday.

Check out my latest Eugene Daily News “Weather Or Not” column now at:

A Horrific Wildfire Season!

Here is my weekly weather quiz question. What is a “Turkey Tower?” Here is the correct answer. A Turkey Tower is slang for a narrow, individual cloud tower that develops and falls apart rapidly. The sudden development of turkey towers from small cumulus clouds may signify the breaking of a cap. I”ll have a new weekly weather quiz question for you starting Monday. The First person to post the correct answer as a comment will win a week of free personalized weather forecasts tailored to your needs. 

_____

ADVISORIES:

  • AN AIR QUALITY ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM TONIGHT FOR CENTRAL DOUGLAS COUNTY, EASTERN CURRY COUNTY, JOSEPHINE COUNTY, THE EASTERN DOUGLAS COUNTY FOOTHILLS, JACKSON COUNTY, THE SOUTH CENTRAL OREGON CASCADES, THE SOUTHERN OREGON CASCADES, THE SISKIYOU MOUNTAINS, NORTHERN AND EASTRN KLAMATH COUNTY, AND WESTERN, CENTRAL, AND EASTERN LAKE COUNTY.
  • AN AIR QUALITY ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE FOR BAKER, HARNEY, AND MALHEUR COUNTIES.

HEALTH ADVISORIES:

  • THE OREGON HEALTH AUTHORITY HAS ISSUED A RECREATIONAL USE HEALTH ADVISORY FOR MOORE PARK AND THE SURROUNDING AREA ON UPPER KLAMATH LAKE DUE TO THE PRESENCE OF CYANOBACTERIA (HARMFUL ALGAE) BLOOM THAT HISTORICALLY PRODUCES CYANOTOXINS (HARMFUL ALGAE TOXINS) ABOVE RECREATIONAL GUIDELINE VALUES FOR HUMAN EXPOSURE. MOORE PARK IS LOCATED ON THE SOUTHERN END OF UPPER KLAMATH LAKE IN KLAMATH COUNTY. UNTIL THE ADVISORY IS LIFTED PEOPLE SHOULD AVOID SWIMMING AND HIGH-SPEED WATER ACTIVITIES, SUCH AS WATER SKIING OR POWER BOATING, IN AREAS OF THE LAKE WHERE BLOOMS ARE IDENTIFIED. ALTHOUGH TOXINS ARE NOT ABSORBED THROUGH THE SKIN, PEOPLE WITH SKIN SENSITIVITIES MAY EXPERIENCE A PUFFY RED RASH. VISITING ODELL LAKE IS SAFE AS LONG AS ANY BOATING OR OTHER ACTIVITIES DO NOT CAUSE EXCESSIVE WATER SPRAY WHICH COULD LEAD TO INHALATION RISKS IF THERE IS EXCESSIVE WATER SPRAY.
  • THE OREGON HEALTH AUTHORITY HAS ISSUED A PUBLIC HEALTH ADVISORY FOR HIGHER-THAN-NORMAL LEVELS OF BACTERIA IN OCEAN WATERS AT SUNSET BAY STATE PARK IN COOS COUNTY. PEOPLE SHOULD AVOID DIRECT CONTACT WITH WATER IN THIS AREA UNTIL THE ADVISORY IS LIFTED. HIGHER-THAN-NORMAL LEVELS OF FECAL BACTERIA CAN CAUSE DIARRHEA, STOMACH CRAMPS, SKIN RASHES, UPPER RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS AND OTHER ILLNESSES. THIS APPLIES ESPECIALLY TO CHILDREN AND THE ELDERLY, WHO MAY BE MORE VULNERABLE TO ILLNESSES FROM WATERBORNE BACTERIA. VISITORS SHOULD AVOID WADING IN NEARBY CREEKS, POOLS OF WATER ON THE BEACH, OR IN DISCOLORED WATER, AND STAY CLEAR OF WATER RUNOFF FLOWING INTO THE OCEAN.
  • THE OREGON HEALTH AUTHORITY HAS ISSUED A RECREATIONAL USE HEALTH ADVISORY FOR ODELL LAKE IN KLAMATH COUNTY DUE TO THE PRESENCE OF CYANOBACTERIA (HARMFUL ALGAE) BLOOM THAT HISTORICALLY PRODUCES CYANOTOXINS (HARMFUL ALGAE TOXINS) ABOVE RECREATIONAL GUIDELINE VALUES FOR HUMAN EXPOSURE. UNTIL THE ADVISORY IS LIFTED PEOPLE SHOULD AVOID SWIMMING AND HIGH-SPEED WATER ACTIVITIES, SUCH AS WATER SKIING OR POWER BOATING, IN AREAS OF THE LAKE WHERE BLOOMS ARE IDENTIFIED. ALTHOUGH TOXINS ARE NOT ABSORBED THROUGH THE SKIN, PEOPLE WITH SKIN SENSITIVITIES MAY EXPERIENCE A PUFFY RED RASH. VISITING ODELL LAKE IS SAFE AS LONG AS ANY BOATING OR OTHER ACTIVITIES DO NOT CAUSE EXCESSIVE WATER SPRAY WHICH COULD LEAD TO INHALATION RISKS IF THERE IS EXCESSIVE WATER SPRAY.
  • A PERMANENT HEALTH ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE SOUTH UMPQUA RIVER DUE TO BLUE-GREEN ALGAE. SIGNS ARE POSTED.

_____

THE WEATHER PATTERN:

  •  An Upper Level Low Pressure Trough (Shaded “U” shape with arrows) took over to help bring us some desperately needed rain. The graphics for days 1-3 show the frontal system that pushed through Oregon. The air quality in Eugene was actually in the Good Category at 5PM today. The graphics for days 3-7  Tuesday through next Saturday show the complex frontal system moving through the Pacific Northwest Tuesday. Yet another complex frontal system will be approaching the coast Thursday sliding through Friday, then a warm front is offshore next Saturday.
  • Note: The fire danger in Oregon is still in the Extreme category for all of Western Oregon and it is still very dry out there despite the rain.  Please be very careful out there and remember Smokey Bear’s words “Only you can prevent wildfires.”

_____

THE AIR QUALITY INDEX:

For the local area:

Eugene/Springfield: The Air Quality Index is 28 in the Good category measuring Particulate Matter.

Oakridge: The Air Quality Index is 24 in the Good category measuring Particulate Matter.

Cottage Grove: The Air Quality Index is 19 in the Good category measuring Particulate Matter.

Data courtesy of Lane Regional Air Protection Agency (LRAPA)

 

 

_____________

FORECASTS:

Forecast for the Southern Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield:

  • Partly cloudy tonight,
  • Some AM clouds with patchy fog, mostly sunny and a bit warmer Sunday afternoon, partly cloudy Sunday night,
  • Partly cloudy and a bit cooler Monday, partly cloudy at night,
  • A mix of clouds and sun Tuesday, then becoming mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of rain late Tuesday night.
  • lows 50-52 highs 78-75.
  • Mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of AM rain, a good (50%) chance of rain and a bit cooler Wednesday afternoon, rain likely (70%) Wednesday night,
  • Mostly cloudy and a bit cooler with rain Thursday, evening rain likely (70%), a good (50%) chance of rain late at night,
  • Mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of AM rain, rain likely (70%) and a bit cooler Friday afternoon, a good (50%) chance of rain Friday night,
  • Then a mix of clouds and sun with a (40%) chance of rain and a bit warmer Saturday.
  • highs 73-65 warming to 68 Saturday lows 55-49. (seasonal averages high 76 low 47)

__________

Forecast for the Umpqua Valley including Roseburg:

  • Mostly clear this evening, partly cloudy with patchy smoke late tonight,
  • Some AM clouds with patchy smoke, becoming sunny and a bit warmer Sunday afternoon, clear in the evening, partly cloudy late Sunday night,
  • Partly cloudy and a bit cooler Monday with patchy afternoon smoke, becoming mostly cloudy late at night,
  • Then mostly cloudy Tuesday and Tuesday night.
  • lows near 53 highs 80-77.
  • Mostly cloudy and a bit warmer Wednesday with a slight (20%) chance of rain in the afternoon, a (40%) chance of rain Wednesday night,
  • AM rain likely (70%),  mostly cloudy and a bit cooler with a good (50%) chance of rain and a bit cooler Thursday afternoon and at night,
  • Cloudy with a good (50%) chance of AM rain, rain likely (70%) and a bit cooler Friday afternoon, a (40%) chance of showers Friday night,
  • Then partly cloudy and a bit warmer with a slight (20%) chance of showers Saturday.
  • highs 79-70 warming to 73 Saturday lows 57-52. (seasonal averages high 78 low 51)

_______

Forecast for the Oregon Coast including Coos Bay and North Bend:

  • Mostly clear with patchy early evening coastal smoke and partly cloudy late tonight while clear with patchy inland evening smoke and partly cloudy late tonight,
  • Some AM clouds, mostly sunny and a bit warmer Sunday afternoon, partly cloudy in the evening, mostly cloudy late Sunday night,
  • Mostly cloudy Monday, partly cloudy in the evening, mostly cloudy late at night,
  • Then mostly cloudy Tuesday and Tuesday night.
  • lows 54-56 highs near 74.
  • Mostly cloudy and a bit warmer Wednesday with a (30%) chance of rain in the afternoon and evening, rain likely (70%) late Wednesday night,
  • AM rain, rain likely (70%) and a bit cooler Thursday afternoon, a (40%) chance of rain at night,
  • Cloudy with a (30%) chance of AM rain, rain likely (70%) Friday afternoon, a good (50%) chance of showers Friday night,
  • Then partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers and a bit warmer Saturday.
  • highs 75-72 warming to 74 Saturday lows 58-54. (seasonal averages high 65 low 50).

__________

Forecast for the Northern Oregon Cascades including Willamette Pass:

  • Partly cloudy tonight,
  • Sunny and a bit warmer Sunday, partly cloudy Sunday night,
  • Partly cloudy and a bit cooler Monday and at night,
  • Partly cloudy and a bit cooler Tuesday, then mostly cloudy Tuesday night.
  • free air freezing level 12,000 ft. rising to 13,000 ft. late tonight, 13,000 ft. Sunday through Monday, 12,000 ft. Monday night and Tuesday, then 12,000 ft. rising to 14,000 ft. late Tuesday night.
  • lows 40-42 cooling back to 40 Monday warming back to 42 Tuesday night highs 68-63.
  • A mix of clouds and sun and a bit cooler Wednesday with a slight (20%) rain in the afternoon, mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain Wednesday night,
  • Mostly cloudy with rain likely (70%) and a bit cooler Thursday and in the evening, a good (50%) chance of rain late at night,
  • A good (50%) chance of rain and a bit cooler Friday, a (40%) chance of rain Friday night,
  • Then a mix of clouds and sun with a (40%) chance of rain and a bit warmer Saturday.
  • free air freezing level 14,000 ft. Wednesday morning, then snow level above 8,000 ft. Wednesday afternoon through Saturday.
  • highs 62-55 lows 45-39.

__________

Note: Weather is a constantly changing phenomenon and weather forecasting is a combination of science, experience, and intuition. The accuracy of any given forecast can change due to unexpected changes in atmospheric conditions, so there are no guarantees that the actual weather will conform to the projected forecast.

__

For all of your Lane County and Eugene-Springfield News, Weather and Sports go to: eugenedailynews.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *