Clouds overnight, patchy AM fog, clouds and sun Monday afternoon.

Check out my latest Eugene Daily News “Weather Or Not” column now at:

A Horrific Wildfire Season!

Here is my weekly weather quiz question for the last time. What is a “Turkey Tower?” Here is the correct answer. A Turkey Tower is slang for a narrow, individual cloud tower that develops and falls apart rapidly. The sudden development of turkey towers from small cumulus clouds may signify the breaking of a cap. I”ll have a new weekly weather quiz question for you starting Monday. The First person to post the correct answer as a comment will win a week of free personalized weather forecasts tailored to your needs. 

_____

ADVISORIES:

  • AN AIR QUALITY ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE FOR BAKER, HARNEY, AND MALHEUR COUNTIES.

HEALTH ADVISORIES:

  • THE OREGON HEALTH AUTHORITY HAS ISSUED A RECREATIONAL USE HEALTH ADVISORY FOR MOORE PARK AND THE SURROUNDING AREA ON UPPER KLAMATH LAKE DUE TO THE PRESENCE OF CYANOBACTERIA (HARMFUL ALGAE) BLOOM THAT HISTORICALLY PRODUCES CYANOTOXINS (HARMFUL ALGAE TOXINS) ABOVE RECREATIONAL GUIDELINE VALUES FOR HUMAN EXPOSURE. MOORE PARK IS LOCATED ON THE SOUTHERN END OF UPPER KLAMATH LAKE IN KLAMATH COUNTY. UNTIL THE ADVISORY IS LIFTED PEOPLE SHOULD AVOID SWIMMING AND HIGH-SPEED WATER ACTIVITIES, SUCH AS WATER SKIING OR POWER BOATING, IN AREAS OF THE LAKE WHERE BLOOMS ARE IDENTIFIED. ALTHOUGH TOXINS ARE NOT ABSORBED THROUGH THE SKIN, PEOPLE WITH SKIN SENSITIVITIES MAY EXPERIENCE A PUFFY RED RASH. VISITING ODELL LAKE IS SAFE AS LONG AS ANY BOATING OR OTHER ACTIVITIES DO NOT CAUSE EXCESSIVE WATER SPRAY WHICH COULD LEAD TO INHALATION RISKS IF THERE IS EXCESSIVE WATER SPRAY.
  • THE OREGON HEALTH AUTHORITY HAS ISSUED A PUBLIC HEALTH ADVISORY FOR HIGHER-THAN-NORMAL LEVELS OF BACTERIA IN OCEAN WATERS AT SUNSET BAY STATE PARK IN COOS COUNTY. PEOPLE SHOULD AVOID DIRECT CONTACT WITH WATER IN THIS AREA UNTIL THE ADVISORY IS LIFTED. HIGHER-THAN-NORMAL LEVELS OF FECAL BACTERIA CAN CAUSE DIARRHEA, STOMACH CRAMPS, SKIN RASHES, UPPER RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS AND OTHER ILLNESSES. THIS APPLIES ESPECIALLY TO CHILDREN AND THE ELDERLY, WHO MAY BE MORE VULNERABLE TO ILLNESSES FROM WATERBORNE BACTERIA. VISITORS SHOULD AVOID WADING IN NEARBY CREEKS, POOLS OF WATER ON THE BEACH, OR IN DISCOLORED WATER, AND STAY CLEAR OF WATER RUNOFF FLOWING INTO THE OCEAN.
  • THE OREGON HEALTH AUTHORITY HAS ISSUED A RECREATIONAL USE HEALTH ADVISORY FOR ODELL LAKE IN KLAMATH COUNTY DUE TO THE PRESENCE OF CYANOBACTERIA (HARMFUL ALGAE) BLOOM THAT HISTORICALLY PRODUCES CYANOTOXINS (HARMFUL ALGAE TOXINS) ABOVE RECREATIONAL GUIDELINE VALUES FOR HUMAN EXPOSURE. UNTIL THE ADVISORY IS LIFTED PEOPLE SHOULD AVOID SWIMMING AND HIGH-SPEED WATER ACTIVITIES, SUCH AS WATER SKIING OR POWER BOATING, IN AREAS OF THE LAKE WHERE BLOOMS ARE IDENTIFIED. ALTHOUGH TOXINS ARE NOT ABSORBED THROUGH THE SKIN, PEOPLE WITH SKIN SENSITIVITIES MAY EXPERIENCE A PUFFY RED RASH. VISITING ODELL LAKE IS SAFE AS LONG AS ANY BOATING OR OTHER ACTIVITIES DO NOT CAUSE EXCESSIVE WATER SPRAY WHICH COULD LEAD TO INHALATION RISKS IF THERE IS EXCESSIVE WATER SPRAY.
  • A PERMANENT HEALTH ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE SOUTH UMPQUA RIVER DUE TO BLUE-GREEN ALGAE. SIGNS ARE POSTED.

_____

THE WEATHER PATTERN:

  •  An Upper Level Low Pressure Trough (Shaded “U” shape with arrows) continues to control of our weather pattern. The graphics for days 1-3 show a frontal system offshore Monday. There is still smoke out there, but at least the air quality has gone back to more normal. The graphics for days 3-7  Wednesday through next Sunday show the complex frontal system moving through the Pacific Northwest Thursday, then a complex frontal system is to our northwest next Sunday.
  • Note: The fire danger in Oregon is still in the High category for all of Western Oregon and in spite of the recent rain it is still very dry out there.  Please be very careful out there and remember Smokey Bear’s words “Only you can prevent wildfires.”

_____

THE AIR QUALITY INDEX:

For the local area:

Eugene/Springfield: The Air Quality Index is 76 in the Moderate category measuring Particulate Matter.

Oakridge: The Air Quality Index is 68 in the Moderate category measuring Particulate Matter.

Cottage Grove: The Air Quality Index is 72 in the Moderate category measuring Particulate Matter.

Data courtesy of Lane Regional Air Protection Agency (LRAPA)

 

 

_____________

FORECASTS:

Forecast for the Southern Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield:

  • Becoming mostly cloudy late tonight,
  • Patchy AM fog, a mix of clouds and sun and a bit warmer Monday, partly cloudy in the evening, mostly cloudy late Monday night,
  • Mostly cloudy Tuesday, a slight (20%) chance of rain late at night,
  • Mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of AM rain, rain and a bit cooler Wednesday afternoon, then rain likely (70%) Wednesday night.
  • lows 48-53 highs 75-68.
  • Mostly cloudy and a bit cooler with rain likely (70%) Thursday, a good (50%) chance of rain late Thursday night,
  • A good (50%) chance of rain Friday, a (40%) chance of rain at night,
  • Mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of showers and a bit warmer Saturday, just partly cloudy Saturday night,
  • Some AM clouds, then mostly sunny and a bit warmer Sunday afternoon.
  • highs 66-73 lows 50-52 cooling back to 50 Saturday night (seasonal averages high 76 low 46)

__________

Forecast for the Umpqua Valley including Roseburg:

  • Becoming partly cloudy late tonight,
  • Some AM clouds, mostly cloudy and a bit cooler Monday afternoon, mostly cloudy Monday night,
  • Mostly cloudy and a bit warmer Tuesday and at night,
  • Mostly cloudy Wednesday with a (30%) chance of rain, evening rain, then rain likely (70%) late Wednesday night.
  • lows 52-57 highs 77-78.
  • Mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of AM rain, a bit cooler with a (50%) chance of showers Thursday afternoon, a (40%) chance of showers Thursday night,
  • Mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance showers and a bit warmer Friday, a slight (20%) chance of showers at night,
  • AM clouds, partly cloudy and a bit warmer Saturday afternoon, mostly clear Saturday night,
  • Then mostly sunny and a bit warmer Sunday.
  • highs 69-80 lows near 52. (seasonal averages high 77 low 50)

_______

Forecast for the Oregon Coast including Coos Bay and North Bend:

  • Becoming mostly cloudy late tonight,
  • Mostly cloudy and a bit cooler Monday, mostly cloudy Monday night,
  • Mostly cloudy and a bit warmer Tuesday and at night,
  • Mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of AM rain, then rain and a bit warmer Wednesday afternoon and Wednesday night.
  • lows 54-59 highs 72-76.
  • Mostly cloudy with AM rain likely (70%), showers likely (70%) and a bit cooler Thursday afternoon, a (40%) chance of showers Thursday night,
  • Mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of showers Friday, a slight (20%) chance of showers at night,
  • Partly cloudy and a bit warmer Saturday and Saturday night,
  • Some AM clouds, then sunny and a bit warmer Sunday afternoon.
  • highs 72-77 lows 56-54. (seasonal averages high 65 low 49).

__________

Forecast for the Northern Oregon Cascades including Willamette Pass:

  • Mostly clear tonight,
  • AM sun with patchy fog, a mix of clouds and sun and a bit warmer Monday afternoon, partly cloudy late Monday night,
  • Partly cloudy and a bit cooler Tuesday, mostly cloudy at night,
  • Mostly cloudy and a bit cooler Wednesday with a good (50%) rain, then rain Wednesday night.
  • free air freezing level 13,000 ft. tonight and Monday, 12,000 ft. Monday night and Tuesday, 12,000 ft. rising to 13,000 ft. late Tuesday night, then snow level above 8,000 ft. Wednesday and Wednesday night.
  • lows 39-42 highs 66-58.
  • Cloudy with AM rain, a good (50%) of rain and a bit cooler Thursday afternoon and Thursday night,
  • Mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain and a bit cooler Friday, a (40%) chance of showers at night,
  • A mix of clouds and sun with a (40%) chance of rain and a bit warmer Saturday, partly cloudy Saturday night,
  • Some AM clouds, then mostly sunny and a bit warmer Sunday afternoon.
  •  snow level above 8,000 ft. Thursday, 7,500 ft. Thursday night, 7,500 ft. rising to above 8,000 ft. Friday afternoon, above 8,000 ft. Friday night and Saturday, free air freezing level 14,000 ft. rising to 15,000 ft. late Saturday night, then 15,000 ft. Sunday.
  • highs 54-62 lows 37-42.

__________

Note: Weather is a constantly changing phenomenon and weather forecasting is a combination of science, experience, and intuition. The accuracy of any given forecast can change due to unexpected changes in atmospheric conditions, so there are no guarantees that the actual weather will conform to the projected forecast.

__

For all of your Lane County and Eugene-Springfield News, Weather and Sports go to: eugenedailynews.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *