Check out my latest Eugene Daily News Weather Or Not column Junk Can Be A Life-Threatening Problem.
And don’t forget my final feature story in the series on service club organizations called This Moose Isn’t Named Bullwinkle.
And my feature article about Contractors Electric called Is The Ground Wire The White One Or The Black One?
Here is my new weekly weather quiz question. What is “Juvenile Water?” Please remember to post your answer as a comment by clicking on “no comments /comments” in the upper right hand portion of this page under the caption, then add your comment. The first person to post the correct answer will win a week of free personalized weather forecasts tailored to your needs. The answer has to be a comment to win. An email answer will not count. Good luck.
An upper level high pressure ridge has taken over bringing back the sunshine and warming us up for the rest of the week into the weekend. We could see 100 degrees before the week is out and the 90s could be around a bit longer.
Air Quality Index:
Eugene-Springfield: The Air Quality Index is 29 in the Good category measuring Ozone.
Oakridge: The Air Quality Index is 10 in the Good category measuring Particulate Matter.
Cottage Grove: The Air Quality Index is 32 in the Good category measuring Ozone.
Data courtesy of Lane Regional Air Protection Agency (LRAPA).
- A RED FLAG WARNING IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM TODAY FOR THE UPPER SLOPES AND RIDGES IN EASTERN DOUGLAS COUNTY, THE UPPER SLOPES AND RIDGES IN JOSEPHINE COUNTY, THE UPPER SLOPES AND RIDGES IN CURRY COUNTY, THE UPPER SLOPES AND RIDGES IN COOS COUNTY, THE UPPER SLOPES AND RIDGES IN JACKSON COUNTY AND EXTREME WESTERN KLAMATH COUNTY.
- A RED FLAG WARNING IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY THROUGH 11 PM THURSDAY FOR THE MT. HOOD NATIONAL FOREST WEST OF THE CASCADE CREST, THE WILLAMETTE NATIONAL FOREST WEST OF THE CASCADE CREST, AND THE SOUTHERN WILLAMETTE VALLEY AND ADJACENT FOOTHILLS.
- A HEAT ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM TODAY UNTIL 9 PM FRIDAY FOR THE COAST RANGE OF NORTHWEST OREGON, THE CENTRAL COAST RANGE OF WESTERN OREGON, THE LOWER COLUMBIA, THE GREATER PORTLAND METRO AREA, THE CENTRAL WILLAMETTE VALLEY, THE SOUTH WILLAMETTE VALLEY, THE WESTERN COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE, THE CENTRAL COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE AND THE UPPER HOOD RIVER VALLEY.
- A HEAT ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM THURSDAY FOR THE CURRY COUNTY COAST.
- A HEAT ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM TODAY UNTIL 11 PM SATURDAY FOR CENTRAL DOUGLAS COUNTY, EASTERN CURRY COUNTY, JOSEPHINE COUNTY AND JACKSON COUNTY.
- A HEALTH ADVISORY HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR UPPER KLAMATH LAKE AND AGENCY LAKE, LOCATED JUST NORTH OF KLAMATH FALLS ALONG HIGHWAY 97 IN KLAMATH COUNTY. WATER MONITORING BY THE USGS HAS CONFIRMED THE PRESENCE OF BLUE-GREEN ALGAE TOXINS WHICH CAN BE HARMFUL TO HUMANS AND ANIMALS. SWALLOWING, INHALING OR SKIN CONTACT WITH WATER DROPLETS SHOULD BE AVOIDED.
Forecast for the Southern and lower Mid Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield and Albany-Corvallis:
- Sunny and warmer (Hot!) today, Thursday and Friday, clear each night.
- highs 97-101 lows 59-64.
- Mostly sunny Saturday AM, partly cloudy and a bit cooler in the afternoon and Saturday night,
- Mostly sunny and a bit cooler Sunday and Monday, partly cloudy both nights,
- Mostly sunny Tuesday AM, then partly cloudy and a bit cooler in the afternoon.
- highs 96-90 lows near 60. (seasonal averages high 84 low 52)
Eugene/Springfield Pollen Count:
Trees: Low- 4
Grass: Moderate- 5
Reading as of: 7/25/15
Forecast for the Umpqua Basin including Roseburg:
- Sunny and warmer (Hot!) today and Thursday, clear both nights,
- Sunny Friday AM, partly cloudy and still hot with a slight (20%) chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon and Friday night.
- highs 93-105 lows near 66.
- Partly cloudy and cooler with a slight (20%) chance of thunderstorms Saturday and in the evening, partly cloudy and cooler late Saturday night through Monday night,
- Then partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of thunderstorms and cooler Tuesday afternoon.
- highs 102-95 lows near 65. (seasonal averages high 86 low 57)
Forecast for the South Oregon Coast including Coos Bay and North Bend:
- Sunny and warmer today, cooler Thursday and warmer again Friday, clear tonight and Thursday night, partly cloudy Friday night.
- highs 75-70 warming back to 75 Friday lows near 62.
- Partly cloudy Saturday through Tuesday.
- highs 69-67 lows near 56. (seasonal averages high 65 low 53)
Forecast for the Cascades in Lane County:
- Sunny and warmer today and Thursday, clear both nights,
- Sunny Friday AM, partly cloudy and warm with a slight (20%) chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon, just partly cloudy Friday night.
- free air freezing level 15,000 ft. today through Thursday night, snow level above 8,000 ft. Friday, then free air freezing level 15,000 ft. Friday night.
- highs 85-88 lows 56-65.
- Partly cloudy and a bit cooler with a slight (20%) chance of showers and thunderstorms Saturday afternoon and evening, just partly cloudy late at night,
- Partly cloudy and cooler with a slight (20%) chance of showers and thunderstorms Sunday afternoon through Tuesday.
- snow level above 8,000 ft. Saturday through Tuesday.
- highs 84-80 lows near 55.
**Because weather forecasting is a combination of science, intuition, and timing there can be no absolute guarantees that individual forecasts will be 100% accurate. Nature is in a constant state of flux and sudden unexpected weather events can happen.
Get your local Eugene-Springfield and Lane County news on-line at eugenedailynews.com.