Check out my latest Eugene Daily News Weather Or Not Column “Water, Water, Every Where, Nor Any Drop To Drink.”
And don’t forget my latest feature story in the continuing series on service club organizations called Who Are The Soroptimists And What Are They Doing?
Here is my new weekly weather quiz question. What is an “Environmental Temperature Sounding?” Please remember to post your answer as a comment by clicking on “no comments /comments” in the upper right hand portion of this page under the caption, then add your comment. The first person to post the correct answer will win a week of free personalized weather forecasts tailored to your needs. The answer has to be a comment to win. An email answer will not count. Good luck.
A ridge of high pressure (“Arch” shape in blue arrows) is sitting over us and will keep the sunshine and warmer temperatures with us through the rest of the week. The Perseid Meteor shower has begun. It will continue and peak on the night of August 12.
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PORTLAND HAS ISSUED A * SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR... SOUTHEASTERN LANE COUNTY IN WESTERN OREGON... * UNTIL 630 PM PDT * AT 601 PM PDT...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED 11 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HILLS CREEK RESERVOIR...OR 16 MILES SOUTHEAST OF OAKRIDGE...AND MOVING NORTH AT 10 MPH. * LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE... HILLS CREEK RESERVOIR. IN OREGON THIS INCLUDES STATE HIGHWAY 58 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 46 AND 61 JUST WEST OF WILLAMETTE PASS. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCE DAMAGING WINDS...DESTRUCTIVE HAIL... DEADLY LIGHTNING AND VERY HEAVY RAIN. FOR YOUR PROTECTION...MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS. HEAVY RAINS FLOOD ROADS QUICKLY SO DO NOT DRIVE INTO AREAS WHERE WATER COVERS THE ROAD.
Air Quality Index:
Eugene-Springfield: The Air Quality Index is 48 in the Good category measuring Particulate Matter at Amazon Park, Eugene. Data courtesy of Lane Regional Air Protection Agency (LRAPA)
Oakridge: The Air Quality Index is 29 in the Good category measuring Particulate Matter at Willamette Activity Center, Oakridge. Data courtesy of Lane Regional Air Protection Agency (LRAPA)
Eugene-Springfield Pollen Count:
Grass………. Moderate (5)
Trees………. Low (5)
Last Counted: 7/26/14
Data Courtesy of Oregon Allergy Associates
Forecast for the Southern and lower Mid Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield and Albany-Corvallis:
- Mostly sunny and warm today, partly cloudy tonight through Thursday night,
- Mostly sunny still warm Friday, mostly clear Friday night.
- highs 92-90 lows near 56.
- Mostly sunny Saturday and Sunday, partly cloudy both nights,
- Partly cloudy Monday AM, mostly sunny in the afternoon, partly cloudy at night,
- Then mostly sunny Tuesday.
- highs 90-88 lows near 57. (seasonal averages high 84 low 52)
Forecast for the Umpqua Basin including Roseburg:
- Sunny today, mostly clear this evening, partly cloudy late tonight,
- Partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of afternoon thunderstorms Thursday, mostly clear tonight,
- Sunny Friday AM, partly cloudy in the afternoon and Friday night.
- highs 94-90 lows near 60.
- Partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of thunderstorms Saturday and Saturday night,
- Then just partly cloudy Sunday through Tuesday.
- highs 92-89 lows near 60. (seasonal averages high 86 low 57)
Forecast for the South Oregon Coast including Coos Bay and North Bend:
- Mostly cloudy with patchy coastal fog this AM, sunny this afternoon, mostly clear this evening, mostly cloudy late tonight,
- Mostly cloudy Thursday AM, partly cloudy in the afternoon, mostly clear in the evening, then partly cloudy inland while mostly cloudy at the shore Thursday night through Friday night.
- highs near 64 lows near 55.
- Then just partly cloudy Saturday through Tuesday.
- highs near 64 lows near 55 (seasonal averages high 65 low 53)
Forecast for the Cascades in Lane County:
- Partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of afternoon and evening showers and thunderstorms today, just partly cloudy late tonight,
- Partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers and thunderstorms Thursday afternoon through Friday evening, just partly cloudy Friday night.
- snow level above 8,000 ft. today through Friday night.
- highs 80-82 cooling to 79 Friday night lows 52-50.
- Mostly sunny Saturday AM, partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon through Saturday night,
- Partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers and thunderstorms Sunday and in the evening,
- Partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers and thunderstorms Monday afternoon, then just partly cloudy Monday night and Tuesday.
- snow level above 8,000 ft. Saturday through Monday night, then free air freezing level 14,000 ft. Tuesday.
- highs 78-80 cooling to 77 Tuesday lows near 50.
**Because weather forecasting is a combination of science, intuition, and timing there can be no absolute guarantees that individual forecasts will be 100% accurate. Nature is in a constant state of flux and sudden unexpected weather events can happen.
Get your local Eugene-Springfield and Lane County news on-line at Eugene Daily News.com.