Check out my latest Eugene Daily News Weather Or Not Column They Don’t Always Obey The Rules.
And don’t forget my latest feature story in the continuing series on service club organizations called This Moose Isn’t Named Bullwinkle.
And my feature article about Contractors Electric called Is The Ground Wire The White One Or The Black One?
Here is my weekly weather quiz question for the last time. What is a “temperature inversion?” Here is the correct answer. A Temperature Inversion (surface-based or elevated) : a layer of the atmosphere in which air temperature increases with height. When the layer’s base is at the surface, the layer is called a surface-based temperature inversion; when the base of the layer is above the surface, the layer is called an elevated temperature inversion. I’ll have a new weekly weather quiz question for you starting Monday. Please remember to post your answer as a comment by clicking on “no comments /comments” in the upper right hand portion of this page under the caption, then add your comment. The first person to post the correct answer will win a week of free personalized weather forecasts tailored to your needs. The answer has to be a comment to win. An email answer will not count. Good luck.
An upper level low pressure trough that has been controlling our weather is moving to the south away from us. Another low will take over, but I was expecting a break through the Memorial Day Holiday weekend with increasing sunshine. The low is moving slower than I expected bringing enough marine air our way to keep us in clouds with a chance of a few sun breaks.
Air Quality Index:
Eugene-Springfield: The Air Quality Index is 28 in the Good category measuring Ozone.
Oakridge: The Air Quality Index is 12 in the Good category measuring Particulate Matter.
Cottage Grove: The Air Quality Index is 25 in the Good category measuring Ozone.
Data courtesy of Lane Regional Air Protection Agency (LRAPA).
- A HEALTH ADVISORY HAS BEEN CANCELLED FOR DETROIT LAKE LOCATED 46 MILES SOUTHEAST OF SALEM ON THE NORTH SANTIAM RIVER IN LINN AND MARION COUNTIES. WATER MONITORING ON MAY 18, 2015 HAS CONFIRMED THE TOXIN CONCENTRATIONS HAVE DROPPED TO A SAFE LEVEL.
Forecast for the Southern and lower Mid Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield and Albany-Corvallis:
- Mostly cloudy and a bit warmer maybe a sun break this afternoon, mostly cloudy tonight,
- Mostly cloudy in the AM, a mix of clouds and sun and a bit warmer Monday (Memorial Day), partly cloudy in the evening, mostly cloudy at night,
- AM clouds, a mix of clouds and sun Tuesday, then partly cloudy Tuesday night.
- highs 66-72 lows near 48.
- A mix of clouds and sun and a bit warmer Wednesday, partly cloudy Wednesday night through Friday evening, mostly cloudy Friday night,
- Then a mix of clouds and sun Saturday.
- highs 72-74 lows near 50. (seasonal averages high 69 low 45)
Eugene-Springfield Pollen Count
Trees: Moderate- 27
Grass: High- 23
Reading as of: 5/23/15
Data courtesy of Oregon Allergy Associates.
Forecast for the Umpqua Basin including Roseburg:
- Mostly cloudy today, partly cloudy this evening, mostly cloudy late tonight,
- Mostly cloudy Monday AM (Memorial Day), partly cloudy Monday afternoon through Tuesday night,
- highs 74-79 lows 49-46 warming back to 49 Tuesday night.
- Partly cloudy Wednesday through Friday, partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of evening thunderstorms, mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers late Friday night,
- Then mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of thunderstorms Saturday afternoon.
- highs 84-80 warming back to 84 Friday cooling to 77 Saturday lows 48-52. (seasonal averages high 72 low 49)
Forecast for the South Oregon Coast including Coos Bay and North Bend:
- Mostly cloudy today, partly cloudy this evening, mostly cloudy tonight,
- AM clouds, partly cloudy Monday afternoon (Memorial Day) and evening, mostly cloudy at night and Tuesday AM, partly cloudy Tuesday afternoon and at night.
- highs 58-60 lows near 50.
- Partly cloudy Wednesday through Thursday night,
- Mostly cloudy Friday AM, partly cloudy in the afternoon, partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of thunderstorms Friday evening, then just mostly cloudy late Friday night and Saturday.
- highs 60-54 lows near 50. (seasonal averages high 60 low 48)
Forecast for the Cascades in Lane County:
- Cloudy with areas of drizzle this AM, a mix of clouds and sun this afternoon, partly cloudy tonight,
- Mostly cloudy Monday AM (Memorial Day), partly cloudy in the afternoon and Monday night,
- A mix of clouds and sun Tuesday AM, mostly sunny in the afternoon, partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers in the evening, then just partly cloudy late Tuesday night.
- free air freezing level 11,000 ft. today, 12,000 ft. tonight, 11,000 ft. Monday through Tuesday, snow level above 8,000 ft. Tuesday night.
- highs 58-60 lows 38-40.
Partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers in the afternoon and evening Wednesday and Thursday,
- A mix of clouds and sun with a slight (20%) chance of afternoon showers Friday, partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers in the evening, mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers late Friday night,
- Mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers Saturday AM, then a slight (20%) chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon.
- snow level above 8,000 ft. Wednesday through Saturday.
- highs 60-63 cooling back to 60 Saturday lows 42-46 cooling back to 42 Friday night.
**Because weather forecasting is a combination of science, intuition, and timing there can be no absolute guarantees that individual forecasts will be 100% accurate. Nature is in a constant state of flux and sudden unexpected weather events can happen.
Get your local Eugene-Springfield and Lane County news on-line at eugenedailynews.com.