Check out my latest Eugene Daily News Weather Or Not Column We Have It, But It’s Not As Bad As Elsewhere.
And don’t forget my latest feature story in the continuing series on service club organizations called “Buffalo Isn’t Only Known For Its Wings.”
We have a winner! Congratulations to Theresa who was the first to post the correct answer Monday. Here is my weekly weather quiz question with the answer. What is the “Santa Ana Wind?” Here is what Theresa posted. Santa Ana’s are some strong ass winds! I used to live in so. cal. It blew fences over, blew trash cans into the next neighborhood, and don’t get me started on the poor flying kitties! Here is the full official definition: Santa Ana Wind - In southern California, a weather condition in which strong, hot, dust-bearing winds descend to the Pacific Coast around Los Angeles from inland desert regions. I’ll have a new weekly weather quiz question for you starting next Monday. Please remember to post your answer as a comment by clicking on “no comments /comments” in the upper right hand portion of this page under the caption, then add your comment. The first person to post the correct answer will win a week of free personalized weather forecasts tailored to your needs. The answer has to be a comment to win. An email answer will not count. Good luck.
An upper level trough of low pressure has increased onshore airflow and cooled us down even more and a frontal system moved in bringing some scattered showers today. It looks like Sunday and Monday, Labor Day, will be dry.
- A HEALTH ADVISORY CONTINUES FOR THE PRESENCE OF BLUE-GREEN ALGAE FOR WALTERVILLE POND IN LANE COUNTY AND AT DEVILS LAKE IN LINCOLN COUNTY. THE TOXIC ALGAE BLOOM MEANS THAT PEOPLE SHOULD NOT HAVE DIRECT CONTACT WITH THE AFFECTED WATER AND THAT ALSO GOES FOR ANY PETS.
Air Quality Index:
Eugene-Springfield: The Air Quality Index is 30 in the Good category measuring Particulate Matter at HWY 99, Eugene. Data courtesy of Lane Regional Air Protection Agency (LRAPA)
Oakridge: The Air Quality Index is 62 in the Moderste category measuring Particulate Matter at Willamette Activity Center, Oakridge. Data courtesy of Lane Regional Air Protection Agency (LRAPA)
Your College Football Forecast:
Ducks vs. South Dakota today Kickoff at 7:30 PM at Autzen Stadium- Partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers through this evening as the game begins, then partly cloudy late tonight, temperature near 72 degrees and cooling as the game progresses. Remember as Don Essig always says: ” It Never Rains In Autzen Stadium.” It looks like he will be correct again this time.
Forecast for the Southern and lower Mid Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield and Albany-Corvallis:
- Partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers this evening, just partly cloudy late tonight,
- A mix of clouds and sun Sunday AM, mostly sunny in the afternoon, partly cloudy at night,
- Partly cloudy Monday AM (Labor Day), mostly sunny in the afternoon, mostly clear Monday night,
- Mostly sunny Tuesday, then partly cloudy at night.
- lows 57-53 highs 79-83 cooling to 80 Tuesday.
- Partly cloudy Wednesday, mostly clear at night,
- Mostly sunny Thursday AM, partly cloudy in the afternoon and Thursday night,
- Mostly sunny Friday, then partly cloudy Friday night and Saturday.
- highs 79-88 lows 52-54. (seasonal averages high 81 low 50)
Forecast for the Umpqua Basin including Roseburg:
- Mostly cloudy this evening, partly cloudy tonight,
- Mostly cloudy in the AM, sunny in the afternoon, mostly clear at night Sunday, Monday (Labor Day), and Tuesday,
- lows 55-52 warming to 56 Monday night cooling to 53 Tuesday night highs 80-87.
- Mostly sunny Wednesday and Thursday, mostly clear at night,
- Partly cloudy Friday through Saturday.
- highs 85-90 cooling to 87 Saturday lows 52-57 cooling to 55Friday night. (seasonal averages high 83 low 54)
Forecast for the South Oregon Coast including Coos Bay and North Bend:
- Mostly cloudy tonight and Sunday AM, sunny in the afternoon, mostly clear in the evening, partly cloudy late Sunday night,
- Mostly cloudy Monday AM (Labor Day), sunny in the afternoon, mostly clear Monday night,
- Then partly cloudy Tuesday and Tuesday night.
- lows near 55 highs 67-65.
- Mostly cloudy in the AM, sunny in the afternoon, then partly cloudy at night Wednesday through Saturday.
- highs 64-66 lows 50-53. (seasonal averages high 66 low 52)
Forecast for the Cascades in Lane County:
- Mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers this evening, partly cloudy with areas of smoke late tonight,
- A mix of clouds and sun with areas of smoke in the AM, mostly sunny with more smoke Sunday afternoon, areas of smoke Sunday night,
- Partly cloudy with areas of smoke Monday AM (Labor Day), mostly sunny in the afternoon, mostly clear Monday night,
- Mostly sunny Tuesday, then mostly clear at night.
- snow level above 8,000 ft. tonight, free air freezing level 13,000 ft. Sunday, 14,000 ft. Sunday night, 16,000 ft. Monday and Monday night, 15,000 ft. Tuesday, then 14,000 ft. Tuesday night.
- lows 44-40 highs 67-70.
- Partly cloudy Wednesday AM, mostly sunny in the afternoon, mostly clear at night,
- Mostly sunny Thursday AM, partly cloudy in the afternoon and at night,
- Mostly sunny Friday, then partly cloudy at night and Saturday.
- free air freezing level 13,000 ft. Wednesday through Thursday, then 12,000 ft. Thursday night through Saturday.
- highs 64-75 lows 39-44.
**Because weather forecasting is a combination of science, intuition, and timing there can be no absolute guarantees that individual forecasts will be 100% accurate. Nature is in a constant state of flux and sudden unexpected weather events can happen.
Get your local Eugene-Springfield and Lane County news on-line at Eugene Daily News.com.